Smiles... Prayers... Grace!

My deepest thoughts on spirituality and life lessons.

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Be Still and Know - Day 15

[If you're just now joining in, you may want to read my introduction first.]

A rhythm is setting in with my meditation. It is becoming more of a natural part of my day, more of a habit, I suppose. I have had less emotional mountaintop experiences of late, but that really is okay. Feeling a secure connection with the Divine is more than enough.

As for the mechanics of things...

  • I am still meditating in the morning - sometimes early, before the kids wake up, and sometimes after I get them off to school before I launch into my personal day.
  • I still am using music, which is much nicer than complete silence because of the way it masks outside noises, which were always such a distraction before.
  • I'm taking about 20 minutes to meditate most days... although I find myself want to linger longer. I think that will take more open-ended time, which my schedule doesn't always allow.
  • Sometimes I read scripture before I begin; sometimes something in meditation takes me to scripture after; sometimes the Spirit brings scripture or even things I've read from other sources to my mind; and sometimes I don't read anything at all.
  • Sometimes meditation involves just me going inward and being still, but more often I have a particular concept or truth or visualization I'm focusing on - mainly because when I'm just going inward and still, the Spirit brings things to my mind I need to learn or work on.

Yesterday I meditated on serving and giving of myself to others. What specific talents, gifts, or blessings has God given me that I can give back to the world? It's such a wonderful thing to know that I can fulfill my purpose through service to the world... not that the world needs me, but that the world has needs, and I can contribute by following God's call on my life and just being true to the person God has created me to be. Beautiful really.

Today I meditated on something a little more broad or deep. I looked at things from an expansive perspective. I noticed the coincidences that happen, and how they aren't at all coincidences, but divine rhythms of life. I saw how if we recognize and acknowledge those "non-coincidences", we end up experiencing more and more the rich, full life God intends for us. Like the times when we find ourselves with open doors that lead to more open doors, and we come to a place that feels right and good and purposeful. As we respond with open hearts to the whispers of the Holy Spirit inside of us, we move along the currents of life with greater ease. It's a lovely way to live. As I left meditation, I placed myself within that truth.

Practically speaking, my day has been mostly about preparing for our Thanksgiving trip. I have still felt the stress a bit. But since my meditation times in general have given me a clearer view of things, today I've been more easily able to let go of the stress and just do what I need to do. I've been able to stop and play with the kids in between laundry and cooking - maybe not as much as I could, but more than usual. :)

I do wish I would have stopped to go play in the pile of leaves the kids made outside. They invited me, but I was too busy at the time... hindsight is much clearer...

Hey, maybe we can all go play in the leaves tomorrow before we leave! I'll keep you posted!
Happy Thanksgiving!

1 Comments:

Blogger Elisabeth Snell Wang said...

"As we respond with open hearts to the whispers of the Holy Spirit inside of us, we move along the currents of life with greater ease."

I think this is perhaps the most impactful (is this a word?) truths that casual Christians miss out on. I think of it like someone who is trained to hear bird calls and recognize species based on the song. In the woods, all of us hear birds, but most of us aren't able to distinguish whippoorwill from crow, much less male from female. But to a trained ear, that person can tell you what kind of bird is happy, in distress, looking for a friend or mate, giving warning, etc.

As Christians, our sensitivity to the Spirit is based on practice and training ourselves to be aware, listen for and then appropriately respond to His prompting. The longer we do this consistently, the better we are at distinguishing all sorts of prompts and works of the Spirit. We grow spiritually, and we are able to influence the growth of others. Without it, we may know that it is going on all around us, but our hearts are trained to really understand it.

And, to your opening point, I believe this is developed in the steady, dependable times of discipleship... not necessarily mountaintop experiences. Nice post, Kim.

November 22, 2012 at 7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home