Smiles... Prayers... Grace!

My deepest thoughts on spirituality and life lessons.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Through the Touch of Another

What you we need most right now? Is it money? alone time? a break? patience? a new car? restored health? sleep?

Our needs often seem countless and overwhelm us as they cry out for our attention. But let's see if a change in perspective can help us.

Let's change the question a bit and leave off those last two words: What do you need most? In other words, in the broader perspective, looking at your life, what do you truly need the most to be fully you?

Love.
     A tender touch. 
          A kind word.
               Family.
                    Friends.
                         Relationship.
                              Real connections.
                                   Purpose.

These are the things that keep our souls alive. These are the truly important things in life. These are the things that - when the money, patience, sleep, health and other things are lacking - keep us grounded, whole, and full at our core. We can struggle with the surface needs and still be well when these needs are met.
"Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to know, It is well. It is well with my soul." Horatio G. Spafford
Be grateful if you find yourself feeling loved, having true friends and family you can call on, and understanding your purpose for here and now. Those things are HUGE! You are so very, very blessed! Your need for a break, or money or even health - while important to tend to when life permits - can be placed in their proper perspective as less essential and secondary to the soul nourishing needs you have being met. Really, take a moment, bask in the beauty of knowing your worth, and be deeply grateful!

On the other hand, it's when we find ourselves flailing around in life, feeling our needs are unmet but not even really knowing why, that it's likely these core needs are missing. And when we're in that state, our best recourse can seem out of reach or even invisible. We have to discover Love, Relationship, and Purpose somehow... but how?

Maybe it's through the touch of another.

You see, those of us who find ourselves above the waves for the time being, in a period of security and well being, have opportunities all around us to extend a saving hand! When my true needs are being met, I should make myself aware of those around me who may find themselves lacking a core need, and I can be a soul saver. It is then that I participate in bringing the Kingdom of Heaven to earth, as Jesus taught us to do. (Matthew 18:18-20)

So, if you're feeling loved...
  • Make a phone call to an acquaintance who needs it.
  • Send an encouraging note to a discouraged co-worker.
  • Give a smile to the clerk or the mailman.
  • Give a hug to a single mom or widow.
  • Buy her a coffee and offer an ear.
  • Pray for him and tell him you are.
  • Ask how she's doing and truly care to hear the answer.
“The greatest compliment that was ever paid me was when one asked me what I thought, and attended to my answer.” Henry David Thoreau
You know these things already. You've heard them and read them before. They may seem cliché or obvious. I don't care. We may know them, but we don't do them enough for each other; I know I don't often enough! Therefore, they bear repeating again and again until they are a part of each of us always.

I promise to take a look around me. It may be a friend, but it also may be someone who's not a friend. It may be a stranger or just a face I know. Maybe a homeless woman walking down the street. Who is in need of a Touch of Love I could extend?

Let's bring the Kingdom to our neighborhoods and communities much more often - allowing God to meet the soul needs of others through simple touches of kindness from us!
"Two are better than one, if one falls down, the other can help him up... Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken." Ecclesiastes 4:9-12



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home