Smiles... Prayers... Grace!

My deepest thoughts on spirituality and life lessons.

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Be Still and Know - Day 26

A jam-packed Christmas season weekend meant that I had to take a break from blogging... from blogging, not meditating. I did meditate these last three days. Yes, even in the insanity! They were just short and sweet times.

It definitely is a blessing to have a practice to go to which brings calmness and connection in the midst of a crazy schedule. Before engaging in this practice of meditation, I used "down time moments" like reading a book or vegging in front of the TV, but I did not usually go to a time of prayer for relaxation or refreshment. I think prayer for me was more work and required energy from me that I didn't necessarily want to or had to give (probably because it was so one-sided). Now I see my practice of meditation as so life-giving, that it is something I crave no matter how hectic the schedule. Can you see the awesomeness of that!?

I can hardly believe that all of my years growing up in the church, I never knew about meditation and how important it is. I was taught verses like "Be Still and Know that I am God." But I am sad to say that I was NOT taught what that really meant. Maybe those of you reading had different experiences growing up in the church. Maybe you were taught how to pray in this way that truly connects you to your Creator, rather than just talking to God. Or maybe you just "got it" somehow through other means. But I did not. Thankfully, God spoke to me clearly through circumstances, other people, and scripture... but rarely through prayer. I was missing out on so much.

It is the beginning of a new year (in the tradition of the Church, anyway), which means it is Advent. We eagerly wait in expectation of the fulfillment of a precious Promise. I plan to observe Advent personally in a way I have not before - through daily readings and meditation. On the one hand, I wonder if I'm setting myself up for failure, knowing how a full schedule can easily fill time I want to allot for this. But on the other hand, I am so expectant of how even more fully God can reveal Himself to me through this practice, that I don't think I'll want to miss a moment of it. We shall see how it goes.

Our pastor challenged us this morning to do two things this first week of Advent. 1) Every day tell someone something you are thankful for, and 2) Give up something this week.

I plan to give up sweets (There, I put it in writing, so now I have to follow through, right?)
And as for being thankful...

Today, and every day, I am SO very thankful for meditation - a way to connect my spirit with The Spirit!

1 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

Eli and I are giving up sweets too. I knew I should have slept in this morning!

December 2, 2012 at 9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home