Smiles... Prayers... Grace!

My deepest thoughts on spirituality and life lessons.

Friday, November 30, 2012

Be Still and Know - Day 23

Today in meditation, I tried to imagine the entire world: all of the almost 7 billion people... every race, skin color, hair color... in all of their sizes, ages, personalities and cultures.

Overwhelmed with awe only begins to describe what I experienced! 

I thought of how we are all alike, all created in the same fashion as spiritual beings, and all connected by our one Creator. I imagined all of us - everyone - present together, smiling, happy, fulfilled, peaceful and in harmony. As I type this, I recognize that this may sound like a cheesy Coke commercial. But try to get beyond that and maybe you can see what I saw: the world as it should be.

The thing is, many times in my Christian mindset, I tend to see humanity as depraved and spiraling downward. I see the world as fallen and broken. But what if I started seeing people, races, ethnic groups, countries, cultures, and other religions, in their fullest potential - just like I want others to see me. Would I begin to look at the world differently? Of course I would. May it be so!

~ ~ ~

On another note, I have to share that my journey with meditation is getting me really excited about the season of Advent coming in a couple of days!

We celebrate Advent throughout the month of December, and specifically the four Sundays before Christmas, in anticipation of celebrating the birth of Jesus. It gets us in the mood, the mindset, the Spirit of what Christmas really means for followers of the Way of Jesus.

Did you know that Advent is the beginning of the church calendar? This Baptist girl probably was taught that at some point along the way, but apparently it didn't stick. Maybe it is obvious to some of you, but I never thought of it as the beginning, only as the end of the year - it is December, you know. Anyway, when I realized this recently, it gave me a new perspective on the Christmas season!

On December 1st I can begin a new spiritual year - a year of more of God, a year that begins with desiring, craving, and eagerly anticipating Emmanuel, God with us! It totally makes sense. Anticipating the Messiah's coming isn't the end, it's the beginning!

Can you feel the excitement? I can't wait!

1 Comments:

Blogger Elisabeth Snell Wang said...

I love Christmas & love advent. I didn't grow up celebrating it & the church I'm in now doesn't formally observe it either, but I love incorporating it into my personal worship and quiet time.

Sorry I've been absent! Will try to catch up a bit!

November 30, 2012 at 12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home