Smiles... Prayers... Grace!

My deepest thoughts on spirituality and life lessons.

Monday, September 15, 2008

E-mail Nuggets

I really don't care for unsolicited, mass e-mails, forwarded e-mails, or e-newsletters. Who does!? Usually I delete them, or maybe open them with a short scan, then delete... But occasionally there's something hilarious, or inspirational and I feel like I haven't completely wasted my time reading one. Here's a couple of nuggets from today's e-mails... one of each (funny & inspirational):

First to lighten the mood for all of those effected in some way by Gustav or Ike*:

Top Ten Reasons Hurricane Season Is Like Christmas
Number Ten: Decorating the house (albeit with plywood & sandbags).
Number Nine: Dragging out boxes that haven't been used since last (hurricane) season.
Number Eight: Last minute shopping in crowded stores.
Number Seven: Regular TV shows pre-empted for 'Specials'.
Number Six: Family coming to stay with you.
Number Five: Family and friends from out of state calling you.
Number Four: Buying food you don't normally buy . . . and in large quantities.
Number Three: Days off from work.
Number Two: Candles.
And the Number One reason Hurricane Season is like Christmas: At some point you're probably going to have a tree in your house!


Second, I just loved this prayer that I got in a monthly e-newsletter from Faith at Work* ... might even print it out for my desk... So I'll leave you with this...

A Psalm Before Beginning Work
To You, O Divine One, from whose hands
comes the work of creation, so artfully designed,
I pray that this work I am about to do
may be done in companionship with you.

May the work that I will soon begin
sing praise to you, as songbirds do.

May the work that I will soon begin add to the light of your presence
because it is done with great love.

May the work that I will soon begin speak like a prophet of old
of your dream of beauty and unity.

May the work that I will soon begin
be a shimmering mirror of your handiwork
in the excellence of its execution,
in the joy of doing it for it's own sake,
in my poverty over ownership of it,
in my openness to failure or success,
in my invitation to others to share in it
and in its bearing fruit for the world.

May I be aware that through this work
I draw near you.

I come to you, Beloved,
with ready hands.

~from Prayers for a Planetary Pilgrim, Fr. Edward Hayes

*See the link to the side to give to help victims of Gustav and Ike displaced to NW Louisiana.
**See www.faithatwork.com ... Faith at Work empowers people to explore, discern and act on their many gifts and calls in the complexity of their daily lives for the good of God's world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home