Smiles... Prayers... Grace!

My deepest thoughts on spirituality and life lessons.

Monday, August 11, 2008

Olympic Fever

Anyone of you who know me, knows that I am not particularly a sports fan. I am a cheerleader at heart - both in my personality in general, and in being on the sidelines cheering the players on - especially my kids when they are playing! And I watch an occasional football game with Leon (or PBR event, since I got hooked Ty Murray's reality show on CMT last spring - but I'll save that for another blog post). Anyway, sports are a necessary part of my life with a family full of boys, and I get into them when I need to, but they are just not my favorite thing.

With that said, I have to tell you that I think the Olympics are so much fun to watch! I used to look forward to the Olympics solely for women's gymnastics - ever since Nadia and then Mary Lou won my heart as a child. But the last couple of Olympics, I have found myself getting excited about the oddest sports! ... like women's fencing! I didn't watch them compete, but when I saw them interviewed I was so darn proud of those girls that I have watched some footage of it online, and it's pretty cool! As Leon put it, "It's chicks with swords!" Pretty awesome stuff! The USA swept the event with gold, silver and bronze!













Then there is men's swimming. I know most every female in America is somehow smitten with Michael Phelps, so I'm not being unique here. But it's not really Phelps that does it for me. It's how dang exciting the races are! I mean, did you happen to watch last night's 400 free relay?!!! France had actually been talking smack to the press, saying they were going to smash the US, and they were also favored to win. Then just look below at how far behind the US was on the last leg! I thought there was no way the US could come back. THEN Jason Lezak got some sort of freakish push in him and actually he made up the gap. The USA won by only 8 hundredths of a second!!! I could hardly calm down to go to sleep! What a great race!!!











So, all that is to say, have fun watching the Olympics. Maybe you'll find a new favorite sport or two like me! Go USA!
Oh, and on a totally unrelated note... can I just say that I'm THRILLED that it's raining outside right now! Thank you God for watering the ground and cooling things down a little! Off to play in the rain... :)!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home