Smiles... Prayers... Grace!

My deepest thoughts on spirituality and life lessons.

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Living in the moment

Today, as I showered, I had a huge moment of gratitude! I said aloud, "Thank you so much God for this hot shower!" And I SO truly meant it. I was living in that moment, being so thankful and feeling completely "showered" with blessings of love from God. I mean really think about it, how great is a hot shower! It's a pleasure that I know we all totally take for granted... well, I usually sure do.

My life has been a bit challenging to me lately, and there are moments when I feel overwhelmed. I day dream of going on a week-long vacation with just Leon and me, lying around, eating, reading, enjoying some golf and spa treatments respectively. What a wonderful break that would be! I day dream about hiring a masseuse for a daily massage. I day dream about taking naps. I day dream about a good ole blah, boring week!

Day dreaming is fine, as long as there is a level of contentment in reality, which I think only comes from God. I'm really learning a lot about living in the present which brings such healthy contentment - not dwelling on what's happened in the past, or only living for what could be in the future. Living in the present doesn't mean not learning from past mistakes or not having goals for your future. But it means treasuring every present moment for the purpose in it - His purpose in it. Whether we truly understand that purpose or not, acknowledging that God does have purpose for us through every bit of our lives gives us that peace, thankfulness, and contentment which is so rare in our time and culture.

So, this morning as I let the hot water massage my shoulders and melt the stress away for the moment, it was like God just opened my heart and showed me that He was loving on me - maybe not through a vacation, or a spa massage - but through a wonderful, simple hot shower. My purpose in that shower was to get clean. God's purpose was LOVE... isn't it always! I'm glad that this time I didn't miss it!

It was nice. Thanks God!

2 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

Good one, Kim! And did you see your "something for mommies" message today? Maybe you need to make one of your daydreams come true and get a babysitter this weekend!

Love, L

September 26, 2008 at 12:04 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

We're going to see Addison Road in concert tonight, so I'm excited about that! The older three are coming, babysitter for George... I think it'll be really fun... a break from regular life for a bit anyway!

September 26, 2008 at 1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home