Smiles... Prayers... Grace!

My deepest thoughts on spirituality and life lessons.

Sunday, September 28, 2008

If I could inspire you to do one thing...

... what would it be?

I don't know what one thing I'd pick over all, but today I'd love to inspire you to do this:
Open your mind and heart to people you're hesitant to... people you think you've got pegged... people who are a little different than you.... and you might just enjoy an unexpected, beautiful moment with them.

Today I went into a group discussion not knowing what to expect. As soon as the people settled in I determined how I thought the discussion would go, what kinds of things I would hear - and that I would likely keep my mouth shut.

And once again God did something unexpected! These people were more open-minded than I had thought. When I thought they would be critical and cynical and stuck in their ways, they rather engaged in discussion with joy and love and openness. Even when differing opinions arose, the air in the room was love and acceptance, not judgement and condemnation. Thus the conversation was rich and enlightening, and I chose to contribute, too. After the official discussion ended, I lingered with several folks to engage some more. They embraced me, and I did them. I will even go as far as to say that new friendships were formed. ... NOT at all what I had expected.

It was a definite lesson learned! I realized my judgements were wrong and I will do my best to be open to others so much more! Just when we think we've got things figured out, God chooses to show us how misdirected we are. And, boy do I thank him for that! I certainly don't want to become haughty or conceited in my thinking, dare I stop growing and learning.

I know we all know this, but it serves well to remind us all...
People of all ages, backgrounds, status, races, and faiths have so much to share to enrich our lives! We can learn so much more from people different than us, than if we just surround ourselves with like-minded, similar people.

And it's really a lesson in humility, isn't it? ... And humility is so dang hard to keep going! I mean, it's not too hard to be humble here and there - to put others interests first once in a while - but to truly have a continual attitude of humbleness!? Wow! It's like we just can't do it on our own... oh, wait, yeah, uh, we can't do it on our own! :)

God, keep me humble... keep me guessing... keep me growing and learning from others... keep me in open to others... keep me in you're purposes.... and I'll try really hard to not get in the way!

1 Comments:

Blogger Steven Wallace said...

Your blog reminded me of the movie "City Slickers", where Curly said that each person has 1 thing in their lives that has to be done.

Not really what you were talking about, but I kept picturing Curly holding up that 1 finger.

Thanks for inspiring me to do something out of my comfort zone, because now I will.

September 30, 2008 at 11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home