Smiles... Prayers... Grace!

My deepest thoughts on spirituality and life lessons.

Monday, May 21, 2012

Vulnerability

It is really hard to be vulnerable with someone. There seems to be so much to lose! A sense of security and pride. An important facade. A certain reputation. A fear of being hurt & judged. I hold to these things with a death-grip.

When conversation takes a step deeper, I have a choice to make: Keep it simple and surface-level (oh, how many times have I just stayed there!) or open up, test the waters and dive in.

A vulnerable, open heart is just what I need to have sometimes. Sharing our hurts, our struggles, our joys and our journeys is what friendships are made of... and made for! When I let pride or fears get in the way of my vulnerability, I miss out on the blessing true friendships can be. God uses friends in our lives - old ones and new ones - to teach us things, to guide us with their words, encourage us and comfort us.

Good friends serve as our cohorts on the mission to be who we're created to be. And friends don't become good friends without some good soul-bearing vulnerability once in a while.

I've been blessed by some wonderful conversations with some friends lately. I feel as if the blessings were just there waiting for the opening up to occur. I'm so thrilled I chose to dive in.

2 Comments:

Blogger Renae C said...

It's worth the risk!

May 23, 2012 at 11:54 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth said...

So, I feel you are just another way God is speaking to me about this during this season in my life. Scott & I are going through something that initially we had decided to keep very close to the chest, very personal. But for the last - I'd say month - I really feel the Spirit leading me to face Vulnerability and share. Among the many scriptures - but this one sums it up from 1 Cor 12:7 "...the manifestation of the Spirit is for the common good." In other words, when God puts us in situations that He is going to use to shape us for His kingdom, it is for the common good - the good of the body of Christ. We are called to be vulnerable, that's what being a community is.

I'll shoot you an email & ask that you pray for us this week in particular.

I'm glad you're back blogging. Thanks for updating my link on your roll, even though I haven't been very reliable there lately. :-/

May 28, 2012 at 6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home